Friday, August 22, 2008

DOTW, SOD

as requested, here are some excerpts from Sod and DOTW.
first, a mini synopsis/teaser thingy for DOTW. i posted one for SOD a few months ago.

Nerida, aka Nida, a 12 year old loner/misfit with a passion for the sea, learns that she is a 'daughter of the waves', the sole child of the sea spirit, with the powers of the ocean within her. The spirit had been destroyed only days after Nida's birth, and Nida was given a human form with the last of her mother's  magic, and sent to a small, landlocked city.  but now, a strange force wants her powers, and will stop at nothing to get them. With a single friend by her side, Nida must learn to control her powers in order to save her self, and prehaps all of humanity, from the Shadows.

and now, and excerpt.

I got off the bus  at my stop, but rather than head home, I picked my way to this little park, not very big, with a sand box, and other stuff for little kids. I plopped down on a swing and just hung there, staring out at the little clump of trees that blocked the view of the street. Without really caring, I started to swing. Aside from being in the water, or drawing, swinging was the one time I felt free, a time I felt like I could fly. My worries just vanished, left behind on the ground while I soared. The wind was picking up, swirling my dark hair around. The wind brushed past my face, like a breath of freedom. Wind was, in essence, the freest thing. The water was trapped by the tides, by the shores. But not the wind. The wind was something very different. Nothing could truly trap the wind, not forever. As I swung, lost in my thoughts, the sun sank lower. I glanced up, and realized I’d better get home. My mom would be back from work by now. With a final glance at the wild blue sky, I headed for home.

and now for a bit of SOD.

That night, Nadia slept fitfully, her dreams twisting, frightening. Then they changed altogether. She saw Sondra, faint and shimmering, heard Sondra’s voice, soothing at first. “Stones,” she began. “Stones, Ekasaf has found your town. He and his minions will be coming. I cannot meet you again, for though Ekasaf is in your world, my Isle is under siege. I will send help, if I can. Beware the Song. I tried, I tried, please, beware.” Nadia’s dream-self reached a hand out to the faerie. “What song? What do you mean? What’s going on?” she became frantic as the image of the faerie prophetess began to fade. “WAIT!”
“Forgive me. Please, forgive me. I am so sorry. Idid not mean to...forgive me.” The image of Sondra’s sorrowful face, eyes brimming with tears as she spoke, faded to nothingness.


and thats all for now!

on a sad note, my cat, walker, is missing, for over 24 hours now. most people think, thats not that long, for an outdoor cat. but walker's NEVER goone all night, and if he ever is, he's waiting to come in at dawn. he's lazy, he sits in the sun on the patio. but no one saw him yesterday. and he didn't come in all last night.
my neighbor said he heard a loud cat fight in the lot close by... i'm worried about my kitty! tcm doesn't think anythings wrong, but i'm not so sure. he didn't come when i called, wistled, or shook the cat treat box!
anyway, more later
anyway, more later








2 comments:

Vincent Malmrose said...

The two exerpts are really good. I look forward to reading DOTW and SOD.

Good luck finding your cat. My cat, cuddlebug, is the same. He like going outside but he's never out for 24 hours, he needs food and a box.
We got out some catnip this morning and sprinkled some on him, it fell onto the table cloth. He bunched it up and pulling together and started beating it with his hind legs, other then that hes laid in it most of the day.

Emma said...

he came back eventually right? sorry i haven't read your blog in a while!